We supply a wide range of ride on mowers suitable for gardens of 0.5 acres upwards. Whether you have a garden, an orchard or a paddock, whether it is flat or sloping we invariably have a machine to suit.
Our opening questions tend to be:
- How large is the area you are looking to cut?
- Are you planning to collect the grass or to side discharge or mulch?
- Is it flat or sloping? If the latter, what is the gradient involved?
- Do you have any access restrictions that will influence the width of the machine you choose?
- Are there obstacles such as trees to negotiate and what is the width between them?
In general terms:
- For gardens up to 1 acre that are mainly flat without too many obstacles and where it is the intention to collect the grass at least part of the time, you might choose between a 72cm lawn rider and an 84cm garden tractor with the option of a mulch kit
If you are on a budget, then you might look at machines with manual transmission (no foot pedals other than the brake) but for a little more you may opt for fully hydrostatic transmission which is more like driving a car
- For reasonably flat gardens up to 2 acres without obstacles and if you do not plan to collect the grass but to side discharge or mulch the clippings, you may choose from our modestly priced range of 98cm side discharge garden tractors, usually supplied with mulch plugs. Once again you may choose between manual and hydrostatic transmission
- As your garden increases in size then wider cutting decks are suggested whether you plan to collect the grass or to side discharge or mulch. The wider machines have more powerful engines enabling you to manage more sloping ground as well as delivering the extra power required to drive larger cutting decks and to tow trailers and perhaps other implements.
- For gardens with trees and other obstacles to negotiate choose from our range of out-front or front-cut mowers. Featuring articulated steering they are highly manoeuvrable and offer great visibility for the driver as the cutter deck is in front of you. 2WD and AWD (all wheel drive) models are available
- For orchards and paddocks where the ground is uneven and where the undergrowth can sometimes be longer and thicker, we would suggest a side discharge or mulching tractor with a heavy duty deck
- For large open areas that are relatively flat and where you just want to get the job done quickly we would recommend a zero turn mower. These lever controlled ride on mowers are extremely nippy and agile, will cut large spaces twice as quickly as a conventional tractor as well as easily negotiating obstacles. They are also great fun to drive!
- Ideally, you should always cut sloping ground up and down rather than across the slope and where the ground can be wet or the incline is more than 1:10 then a 4WD mower comes into its own.
- Where it is important to keep your garden tidy for guests which means being able to cut and collect grass after rain, we would recommend a Countax garden tractor fitted with a power sweeper unit and roller. 2WD and 4WD options are available as well as a range of deck sizes.
- Finally, for rougher ground and where the slopes are more challenging we suggest you consider either a bank mower (2WD) or all terrain mower (4WD)
Now you can see that buying the right ride on mower for you may not be straightforward without advice, please do give us a call to chat through the challenges you face with your garden.
Please also note that we are always happy to consider a part exchange deal on your existing machine, dependent upon condition, but we will commit to take away your old machine regardless of condition if you need the space to accommodate your new machine.
We look forward to your call and in the meantime, please see our full selection of ride on mowers here